Frizell breaks silence on new deal with the Knights
NRL star Tyson Frizell has broken his silence after agreeing to terms on a multi-year deal to join the Newcastle Knights.
The 28-year-old had been reportedly mulling offers from both the Knights and his current club St George Illawarra, but is understood to have settled on signing a three-year $2.1 million deal with Newcastle.
But with NRL season currently suspended due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Frizell pleaded with fans and media to not speak about his new deal until things start to lighten up.
"In regard to the news of my recent signing with the Newcastle Knights, I have signed and agreed to the terms," Frizell wrote on Instagram.https://www.instagram.com/p/B-OCCvFl6uo/
"Due to current circumstances it has not been registered with the NRL.
"As an individual, family, community and as a game, there are more pressing priorities at the moment. So with respect to media and fans I would like to make no further comment on my contract until an appropriate time."
The NRL's salary cap auditor Richard Gardham told player agents and clubs on Thursday that there would be a hiatus in new player contacts.
"Until otherwise notified, contracts and contract variations for both the current and future seasons should not be executed and will not be registered by the NRL," he wrote.
Speaking last month on his playing future, Frizell had stressed the importance of winning a premiership as being a defining factor of his choice.
"People know that I'm looking to win a premiership hopefully and play finals footy. That's what we do it for," he said.