Bateman sets the record straight on his future

Canberra Raiders star John Bateman has cleared up speculation surrounding his future at the club following reports he had asked for a contract release on multiple occasions.

According to report from Fox Sports yesterday, Bateman had repeated release requests knocked back by the club over the summer, with the Raiders refusing to budge on a contract that doesn't expire until the end of next season.

The report prompted Bateman to unload on social media, insulting journalist James Hooper and declaring his original report was untrue.

"Neve once have I asked for a release, bull----," Bateman said on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/johnbateman1/status/1263743708626776064

Following Bateman's response, a seperate Fox Sports report said the England international had been given permission to meet with rival teams according to Canberra boss Don Furner.

"Yes, it's true," Furner said.

"We've given John permission to test his value on the open market. That's all I'll say on the matter."

Bateman took to Twitter again on Saturday in response to Furner's comments, clarifying that he still hasn't asked for a release and that he was given permission to speak with other clubs months ago due to Canberra's tight salary cap.

https://twitter.com/johnbateman1/status/1264100431824732160

"Link I said yesterday, never once have I asked for a release, neither has my management," Bateman said.

"Canberra gave me permission to talk to other clubs months ago because they're tight on the cap next year and have nothing for me from 2022 onwards.

"I have a renegotiation clause in my deal for every year, that's why we are working through it.

"I love the Raiders and want to be here. So settles yourselves down and let's get talking about the season starting back up."

Comments are closed.