Freddy backs 33-year international Origin first

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has backed State of Origin to make the trip across the Tasman and hold game one of the historic rivalry in New Zealand as COVID-19 restrictions continue to disrupt Australian borders.

The iconic three-game series this year will be played at the conclusion of the season over three consecutive weeks between the 4th and the 18th of November.

However, so far, there has been little set in stone over where the trilogy will be played.

News first surfaced on Tuesday that the NRL was considering a reported move abroad for Game One of the series, the first time in 33 years, with Eden Park in Auckland emerging as the most likely contender.

While Game One has already been pencilled in at Adelaide, according to reports, the South Australian Tourism Commission will only agree to host the match if it is played in front of a capacity crowd.

Brad Fittler NSW Blues

With negotiations ongoing, the Blues coach said he was all for taking the series abroad in an "enticing" opportunity for rugby league.

"A lot of it comes down to crowds and State of Origin has always been about the fans and the atmosphere which has taken it to a different level to other parts of our game," Fittler told Wide World of Sports radio.

"So, if we can get a full crowd over there, I can it is as very enticing.

"There's Adelaide – I'm not sure what's going on with Adelaide and the border controls and that sort of stuff from a political point of view and there's still time.

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler celebrates consecutive Origin titles

"But New Zealand, having been involved in Origin at all different levels, having that third game as an away game somewhere promotes our game. The players never fail in delivering, so I think it's a great thing."

Should Game One be taken abroad, Auckland is the most likely location to host the fixture, however, Perth has also made preliminary contact over a possible west coast fixture back home.

"New Zealand makes sense. We'll certainly look at it," an NRL official told the Telegraph on Tuesday.

Comments are closed.