Linares: Haney is making a mistake, he’s still not ready for me
Linares will challenge for Haney’s WBC belt on May 29.
With Jorge Linares officially set to challenge Devin Haney for the WBC lightweight title May 29 on DAZN, the Venzuelan veteran and three-division titlist Linares (47-5, 29 KO) says he’ll show he’s still a major player at lightweight.
“This is my moment to show the world that I still have a lot more to give at 135 pounds,” said Linares. “Devin Haney is a talented and quick-handed young man, but when I was his age, I had already become a world champion by snatching the title away from a real world champion like Oscar Larios. And now you can imagine how much more experience I have now at an age where I feel stronger and better than ever.”
Haney (25-0, 15 KO) will be taking a legitimate step up in competition here, as the 22-year-old has yet to face anyone really considered near the top 10 at lightweight, and Linares, at 35, is still seen as that sort of fighter.
Linares believes he’ll be a step too far, too soon for the American.
“Without a doubt it will be a tremendous fight, but I will demonstrate that Haney made a big mistake by accepting a challenge that he is still not ready to overcome,” he said.
Haney-Linares will be held in Las Vegas, with undercard fights still to be announced.